The house that you live in should always feel like a home. It should be comfortable, functional and beautiful no matter what you do in terms of décor and design. A home is about far more than just bricks and mortar; that’s what makes a house. What makes a home, though, is entirely different and it should be the place that you want to turn to at the end of a very long day. The biggest question is how you plan to do this.
A home is supposed to make you feel wanted and loved. It’s supposed to make you feel secure inside, so the word ‘sparse’ should not be a word used when you think of your house. You’ve got to do everything that you can to make your house as homely as possible, and we’ve got six ways to do that below:
- Colors. Your color palette is really important for the décor of your home. Soft palette colors in stone, biscuit and natural earthy tones can make your choices from home furniture stores really pop. You need to make your home look as welcoming as possible – but this means welcoming for you, not just guests. Natural colors make the light look fantastic, so stick with light and soft for maximum impact.
- Organic. The materials that you choose for your home need to be natural so that you can warm up the space that you’re in. If you have rather a concrete look, then organic materials are always going to win.
- Layer Up. Your home needs oomph. This means layering your rugs, your throws, your cushions and anything fabric as much as possible. It immediately looks cozy and warm when you do this.
- Picture Day. Plain walls are boring. Utterly boring. There’s nothing worse than big expanses of nothingness to look at. The best thing that you can do to make your home inviting is to add artwork, canvases, and photos to the walls so that you are closing up those blank spaces and making your home look like it has a life.
- Nature. No matter how many vases of flowers you have dotted around the house, it’s not enough. Think tall, leafy indoor plants and greenery. Nature from the outside can make your house instantly into a home.
- Lighting. Ceiling lights are all lovely, but lamps and dimmed spotlights can really set the mood of your home into calm and peaceful. Lighting plays a big part in the way that we feel about where we live. We need to be investing in the right light for each room, so what works for one space won’t for another. Be smart in your lighting choices, and you will always feel satisfied when you walk into your home.
Your house should be more than just bricks and cement. It has to be somewhere that you feel at peace in, so choose your colors wisely and make sure that you think of textures when you buy new fabrics. Your home is going to be a place you never want to leave when you’re done with it!