Thu. Jan 26th, 2023



Mold is a common problem in households today, and it is an issue that needs to be dealt with quickly and effectively. Not only an eyesore in your property, the mold is also a problem that could have consequences for your health. In this article, we will help you identify mold in your home, and give you some advice on how to deal with this common occurrence before it spreads.

What is mold?

Mold is a type of fungus that thrives in areas of high moisture. Tell-tale signs are black, blue and green patches growing on your walls and damp, earthy smell in the room. There are many types of mold, as seen here,, and some are more harmful than others.

Health effects

Many persistent health problems could be directly attributed to mold exposure. These include coughing, headaches, nausea, shortness of breath, and irritation to your eyes, nose, and throat. Mold can also trigger allergies, and we gave you some helpful advice to help you alleviate the symptoms at Medical conditions such as asthma can also be worsened by the spores prevalent in the mold.

Dealing with the problem

We need to get to the root of the problem, and that is by discovering where there are areas of excess moisture. Usually, moisture issues are caused by poor ventilation, leaking pipes, badly sealed doors and windows, condensation, and cracks in the foundations of the roof and walls. Dealing with these issues early will reduce the chances of you having to deal with the problem of mold.

There are certain areas of the house that are more prone to mold than others. These include your basement, bathroom, kitchen, attic, and crawlspace. Ventilation will help, so make sure there are vents in high-risk areas, and always open your windows in the bathroom when you get a shower, and in the kitchen when you are cooking. Considering mold feeds on organic matter, you should also ensure you keep your walls, floors, and furnishings dry, to further reduce the risk of growth.

It is always worth bringing in the professionals to help you assess the situation if you suspect you have a mold problem. They will let you know how toxic the spores are, and will seal off problem areas, as seen here,, before the mold spores have the opportunity to cross-contaminate other areas in your home.

You can remove small patches of the mold using a spray bottle filled with water and a quarter tablespoon of baking soda. This will also act as a preventative measure to mold growing back in that area. You can also buy eco-friendly products from the store that can help deal with the issue.


You will minimise the problem of the mold by fixing and dealing with the problems around your home before it has a chance to develop. However, call in the professionals should the problem become widespread, and always seek medical advice if your health has been affected.

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.