First impressions are everything, and you know what they say; you don’t get a second chance to make a first impression. This is why curb appeal is so important. No matter whether you are trying to sell your home or you simply feel like giving it a bit of revitalization, we have some top tips for those who want to give the exterior of their property a boost. Read on to discover more.
- Invest in quality door furniture – First and foremost, while we all want to do things without spending a lot of money, it does pay to spend a little bit more in some instances. Door furniture is a prime example of this. From letterboxes to door knockers, choose something that is in keeping with the style of your property, and allocate a little bit more of your budget to this if possible. After all, cheap can look cheap.
- Build a walkway – Another way to give your home some more curb appeal is to build a walkway. This will make your property feel more inviting and warm. If you have a straight concrete path, and you want a subtle upgrade, you could apply a colored concrete resurfacer to the old walkway, and then edge it with stone or brick borders. If you are after something more dramatic, why not replace the concrete with a walkway that is made from brick or stone.
- Dress up your driveway – Does your driveway have vegetation sprouting from it? Perhaps it is stained or cracked? If so, you can upgrade your driveway without having to spend a fortune on completely redoing it. Firstly, you should kill the weeds, and repair the stains and cracks. Once you have done this, you can affix flagstones or stain the concrete to dress it up.
- Tile your doorstep –Tile your doorstep to create a permanent welcome mat. There is no end to the creativity you can display when going for this option. The sky is your limit.
- Replace gutters – If you have an old gutter system on your property, it is likely that it is suffering from rust spots, peeling paint, and a number of other problems. It is a good idea to replace your gutter system so that you don’t give off a sense of neglect. Here are some signs you should replace your gutters: http://www.weatherguardgutters.com/5-signs-to-replace-gutters/. Copper systems are quite expensive, but they have an unmistakable look of quality.
- Create a new planting bed – Add color and contrast to the exterior of your home with a new planting bed. The best spots for curb appeal include immediately in front of your property, along walkways or driveways, and at the front corners of your yard. When you choose a flower bed, you shouldn’t choose features that are going to obscure your home. Instead, look for those that will frame your home. To edge the bed, precast-concrete blocks are ideal. You should also include a mix of texture, color and plant size for the best results.
- Add some outdoor art – You can add some sparkle and personality to your outdoor space by investing in outdoor art. This could be anything from wind chimes and sculptures to metal cut-outs and birdbaths. Choose something that complements your home’s exterior elements and natural palette. Water sculptures are an amazing choice because they look incredible and they add a soothing and peaceful element to the home too.
- Install window boxes – An easy way to add charm and color to your home’s curb appeal is to add window boxes. For a cottage feel, opt for painted wood window boxes. If you want a more traditional look, choose iron or copper.
- Give your mailbox a makeover – Your mailbox should complement your home, and it should express your personality too. There are so many cool and fun mailboxes available, or you could go for something with more of an antique and old school vibe. The options are endless, but you should ensure your mailbox is a statement piece that demands attention.
- Create an instant garden – You can create an instant garden by adding containers with plants around the front of your home. This is a great way to add color and personality to your home, plus you won’t need to spend a lot of money either.
- Paint the exterior of your home – This is one of the easiest ways to add value to your property, and it makes a massive difference too. You can find out more about exterior residential painting services at www.ecopainting.ca/residential-painting/. When it comes to painting the exterior of your home, you need to choose a quality company to ensure that the harsh weather does not have an impact.
- Install outdoor lighting – One of the best ways to boost your home’s curb appeal is by adding landscape lighting. This is the perfect way to create a welcoming atmosphere.
- Create perfect symmetry – Symmetry is really easy to arrange, and it looks incredible on the eye too. A symmetrical composition of front-door accents and light fixtures generates an entry that is welcoming and has lots of curb appeal.
- Dress up the front door – When it comes to curb appeal, the focal point is always the entry to your home. You can make a real statement by giving your front door a makeover. Why not opt for a custom wood door? Or, add some vibrancy with a striking colored door? The options are endless. You should also use metal polish on door fixtures and clean off any dirty marks around the doorknob. Remember, your personal style is always the most important, so make sure it is reflected here. Your home’s entry should be an indication of the interior inside.
All in all, there is no denying the importance of ensuring your property has plenty of curb appeal. This is the first thing people will notice about your house, and you want to make a good impression, especially if you are planning on selling it. Use the tips mentioned above, and you will give your house a makeover that will turn heads for all of the right reasons.