As a retired teacher, I can’t stress enough the importance of helping your child be prepared for Kindergarten!
- They are confident, because not only have they heard this before but it is easy since it is familiar.
- They learn how to lead, other children look to those who already know for help.
- They can see that it is easy and are less likely to struggle later in school
- They can read earlier and quicker than the others.
- They will spend quality time with a loved one, one on one learning!
I always felt sorry for the children who struggled in my classes, I taught middle school and a lot of times they were just moved up and couldn’t even hardly read. This was obvious when they didn’t want to participate and usually tried to get in trouble when they feared they would be called upon.
No child should have to experience this!
If you spend 30 minutes a day with your preschooler on activities you would be amazed how quickly they absorb the information.
Here is my top ten list of letter activities:
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq3yfQnllfQ (Letters and sounds video extremely important for them to learn the correct letter sounds)
- http://www.worksheetfun.com/category/letter/letter-tracing/ Free printable letter sheets.
- http://www.notimeforflashcards.com/2013/05/sidewalk-chalk-4-letter-activities.html (Sidewalk chalk fun!)
- http://www.learning4kids.net/2011/08/16/alphabet-sponge-letters-bath-time-fun-2/ (DIY Sponge Letters)
- Interactive Notebook – (This is very important for them to learn, they will use interactive notebooks in school, so teaching them early is a plus and they can get all their work in one place to show their loved ones!)
- https://www.education.com/games/alphabet/ (this is a free online interactive game, I would limit it to maybe 15 minutes a day).
- http://www.abc.net.au/abcforkids/games/ (another online free site)
- http://www.themeasuredmom.com/letter-recognition-activities/ (A variety of letter recognition games)
- https://www.pinterest.com/explore/dollar-tree-classroom/ (Dollar Tree finds to use for letter games)
- Write their name on everything, toys, cups, and even their clothes tags, they will learn to recognize their name!
Feel free to add some ideas that you have used, I really just want to stress the importance of doing some daily with your little one and given them a huge advantage in school!